Water is one of the most important nutrients in our bodies, playing a crucial role in maintaining good health and supporting various bodily functions. In this article, we will explore the function of water in the body, signs of dehydration, the effects of too little water, how much water you should drink, and some delicious fruits and herbs you can add to your water to make it even more refreshing and healthy.
Functions of Water in the Body
- Regulates body temperature
- Lubricates joints
- Moistens tissues such as those in the mouth, nose, and eyes
- Aids in digestion and the absorption of nutrients
- Helps flush out waste and toxins through urination
- Maintains blood volume and helps distribute nutrients
- Supports skin health and acts as a natural moisturizer
Some Signs of Dehydration
- Dry mouth and throat
- Dark yellow urine
- Dry skin
Effects of too Little Water
- Decreased energy levels and decreased physical performance
- Kidney problems
- Dry mouth and skin
- Dehydration can also lead to heat exhaustion, heatstroke, and other heat-related illnesses.
How Much Water Should you Drink?
It is recommended to drink at least 1/2 your body weight in ounces per day. But the amount can increase depending on your activity level, other drinks (like caffeine), if you are on a very high protein diet, and climate. It’s important to drink water throughout the day and not all at once. You can also monitor your hydration levels by checking the color of your urine. If it’s pale yellow, you are properly hydrated.
Fruits and Herbs to Add to Your Water